The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.


I just applied for a job as a writer. It was the most excruciating thing ever. I cannot stand when people ask me to show them, "what I've got". I don't got anything but a coke and a smile but I'd like if you'd give me a damn job. It's funny to me in retrospect because in school I used to hate writing to prompts or answering dumb test questions. Yet now, without a prompt I ain't writing didly squat. It just doesn't work like that. I mean I have random half assed ideas all the time for movies that I'll never finish, and a Fiction novel idea I'd love to actually do one day, but this whole affair was about as much fun as an algebra test.


The main reason I'm doing this though is so I can gain some semblance of self sufficiency. See to me, true success comes when I don't have to beg, borrow, or steal my way to life's simple pleasures. If I knew as a kid how much financial freedom would mean to me today, I'd have forgone all those trips to the comic book store and instead asked people to start a trust in my name. I'm sure all my readers can sympathize with the notion that getting control of your own life is hard work. I know a lot of people who have jobs and they all miss school but i don't intend to be in school forever so the quicker I can be in control the closer I am to freedom. The question I have is this...What do you think would happen if someone granted you complete freedom right this minute? Lets say the most you will ever make in your life, just in this world, not in some dream world, would start being given to you right this second. For arguments sake you follow the exact same career path, and you don't change your dating or living habits in ay significant way. So for instance if you were to be a doctor one day, you'd make whatever it is that pays these days, but you still gotta go to med school, you still have to live with the people and interact with the people you'd normally do so with and in the end, be right where you were always meant to be.


This is a rough hypothetical I know. Economics tells us that people always spend based on their means so when you go from eating off the dollar menu to making a million bucks you don't just start buying millions of Double cheeseburgers, you buy what you'd buy if you could afford anything. But the point is this, in my head I constantly think about what my next dollar is for. At some point I get to a spot where all my bills are paid, and even then where all my wants are had. But this being a daydream I of course still have money. I got this idea in part from a story I heard about Antoine Walker. For those that don't know, Antoine played in the NBA and during his time earned over $110 million dollars. This may seem like a lot or a little, but to him it wasn't enough because he is now broke. Not only has he spent more than the $110 million but he is also in debt a few million as well. I'd like to think that if you gave me even 1% of that I could make it through 1 whole year, before it was all gone. But something tells me there is a great chance that it could also be gone in 6 months. And I don't even have an entourage!

So if this writing gig pays off and I start raking it in hand over fist. Just go ahead and remind me I wrote this. I'll bet you a Million bux that I can keep the promise to myself that the money will last 12 months, but if I doesn't last is there a better mistake you could make?

No comments:

Post a Comment